• Dear Staff:

    The State enacted a law that was effective July 1, 2010 that restricts the payment of tuition reimbursement and movement on the salary guide.   According to 18A:6-8.5, in order for a Board of Education to provide to an employee tuition assistance for coursework taken at an institution of higher education or additional compensation upon the acquisition of additional academic credits or completion of a degree program at an institution of higher education, the following must apply:

    a.     The institution shall be a duly authorized institution of higher education as defined in 18A:3-15.3. A duly authorized institution of higher education means an in-State institution licensed by the Commission on Higher Education or an out-of-State institution licensed by the appropriate state agency and regionally accredited or seeking accreditation by the appropriate accrediting body recognized by the Council on Postsecondary Education or the United States Department of Education. 
    b.     The employee shall obtain approval from the Superintendent of Schools prior to enrollment in any course for which tuition assistance is sought. In the event that the Superintendent denies the approval, the employee may appeal the denial to the Board of Education.
    c.     The tuition assistance or additional compensation shall be provided only for a course or degree related to the employee’s current or future job responsibilities.

    To ensure that all staff eligible for tuition reimbursements have an opportunity to receive tuition reimbursement we are providing this reminder to assist you in the proper steps throughout the process for tuition reimbursement and/or movement on the salary guide. 

  • Step One

  • Step Two

  • Step Three

  • Step Four